Welcome

Roots of Happiness is about gardening the easy way. I write about anything and everything that has to do with making life in the garden easier and more enjoyable. So you will find tips and tricks and even a bit of serious information gleaned from my playing in the garden.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I am so excited about learning to blog.  Recently my nephew was telling me about the joys and challenges of creating a website and blog at his work.  As he concluded he said "If you know anything you would like to talk about, I think you would have fun blogging."  If I know anything?  Instantly I had a list longer than I could ever do.  So I had to narrow it down, and gardening came out in first place.

I had heard people talk about blogging, but it seemed too difficult and faraway for me to attempt.  I was hopelessly stuck in the 20th century!

So I took my courage in hand, sat down at my computer and entered "Gardening blogs" for a search.  Five hours later I felt like I had been on a vacation tour of gardens around the world.  I had met the most delightful people from all over the United States, Canada, the UK, Pakistan, Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, and...  well, you get the picture.  I felt like I had made new friends around the world, and we all shared the same interest--digging in the dirt and being a part of the mystery and adventure of growing a garden.  I was more than hooked; I was addicted.

I was impressed and enchanted with the passion and dedication of gardeners who were trying a container garden for the first time.  Then there were the experienced gardeners who were extolling the virtues of their favorite veggies, fruits, bulbs, methods of propagation and on and on.  I was mesmerized with the photographs and creativity of each blog--one had leggo people who lived in her tiny balcony garden--several had kept meticulous records of their fruit and vegetable harvests--another was experimenting with growing vegetables in deep shade in London. 

I had found my people!!!

So if you have a small flowerpot on your doorstep or windowsill or several acres--Welcome.  If you have never grown anything but mold in the refrigerator; but you are thinking maybe, perhaps, you might some day want to grow a plant or two or if you have vast gardening experience--Welcome.  If you have degrees in horticulture or landscape architecture and would like to be part of a gardening conversation with ordinary gardeners--Welcome.

I ran across this quote that has had meaning for me and expresses my intentions for Roots of Happiness

If you want to be happy for an hour,
Have a party.
If you want to be happy for a week,
Kill your pig and eat it.
But if you want to be happy all your life,
Become a gardener.
             Chinese Saying

Why the name Roots of Happiness?   Because one of the things that nourishes my spirit and my life is gardening, and its roots go deep in me.  When I garden, think gardening, talk gardening or dream gardening, I get happy.

I am glad you stopped by, and I hope you will come again and often and share the happiness.

(In Texas speak) "Y'all come back again soon now.  Ya hear?"

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to see your adventure begin. I still remember the summer we mowed the back 40 acres of your house in Nacogdoches, Tx. As a kid, its was huge, as an adult, I'm almost positive it couldn't have been more than an acre or two. I still remember all the native plants and landscaping you had and I really thought it was great. I'm so excited to follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete